Wednesday, August 21, 2024

RPI Day 8 - Create in Reading!

Ever since I started at Pt England school I have been challenged by Dorothy Burt to be creative and get our learners creating. This is something I have enjoyed doing since I started my teaching career, and I enjoy learning about new ways we can get our learners creating!



One thing that was really interesting to hear about was the create task can be before, during or after reading. I normally will get my learners doing their create task after reading with their follow up task. I could be doing create tasks when we discuss the predictions we have of the text.  If the story is about something you are able to do outside of your classroom you could stop and do it during the reading lesson.






Naomi and Kiri gave us a poem and asked us to pick a verse and to find an image to describe it in Google Draw or using AI. I decided to use craiyon.com.  I found this site really helpful, if you use specific vocabulary in your description the ai generator gives you a great image of what you're asking for. This is a great activity to do with your learners as they need to make sure they have specific vocabulary or the image won't come out as they want it.








We have to always remember that our learners have so much creativity flowing through them at all times.  This was a great article showing that we need to keep giving our learners creative opportunities to shine.  This session was really inspiring for me as I feel like I give my learners opportunities to create, however, it's about thinking outside the box and throughout the lesson of all the different opportunities and the range of create activities we can use. 



Below is a create task we were asked to complete to create a book trailer of a book of our choice, hope you enjoy and what to read the book!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post Zac. I love the book trailer, it made me laugh, but would be so motivating for the students as well! You have been lucky to have the creative aspect of teaching as an intrinsic part of your PLD from the very beginning, and I hope today built on that strong foundation. Being a bit more planned in where we get our students to be creative, before, during or after is helpful. So too is the opportunity to share not only on the blogs, which often becomes out default, but also with each other and to an audience inside school. I'm sorry you're not going to make our last session, it's been awesome working with you. Good luck at AIMS, K

    ReplyDelete