Monday, May 17, 2021

Term 2 - How's it going?

This week I've started to realise my kids are enjoying maths a whole lot more. 

I'm a shocker for getting stuck into a group, today I was with a group for 45 minutes because we were just flying and I totally forgot about how much time I spent with these kids, forgot about my other 3 groups (face palm).  I have a simple solution - timer.  I'm going to try and use a timer and do 20 minutes per rotation.  Lets see how that goes.

Rotations are working really well



Keeping it simple is the best, my biggest learning so far is getting kids to actually MOVE AROUND the classroom with the kids.  Each desk group is a different rotation, so the kids get a chance to move around and do all the different activities.

We had our first meeting and I was challenged "now that your children are engaged, what's next?", let's accelerate these children, the most acceleration they are getting is when they are with me, my learners need to be retaining what they are learning, this is why i'm using a modelling book.  All the learning that we are doing goes into the group modelling book, then the learners take these modelling books with them to help them solve the follow up activities.

My next step is to research and have more conversations about how to best teach fractions, and use the correct vocabulary during this!  If you have any tips, please help us out!


No comments:

Post a Comment