Saturday, March 2, 2024

RPI - Knowing your learners survey.

This year I will be inquiring into my reading practise as I participate in the RPI (Reading practise intensive). 

My wondering is: How do I develop my learner's ability to participate and engage in extended discussion about a text and how is this going to improve their vocabulary and reading comprehension?


Inquiry/RPI Update:

This week we have started doing Robyn Anderson's Reading challenge, I have changed her Reading challenge and adapted it to Epic (online book library), this is one of the rotations that I have in my Reading lessons.  By doing this I will get my learners reading a range of different genres.  After learners have read a text from Epic they screenshot the image and put it on the bingo board! When learners complete the board they receive a prize.


After doing the Reading survey with my learners, 2 major answers really stood out to me.  The first being that 25 learners in my class don't enjoy reading in their own time.  We've had big discussions in our class about what texts you can be reading in our own time, whether it be sports reports, animal facts, comic strips or a crime documentary.  We have started doing 2 x 20 minute blocks a week that we call reading for enjoyment where our learners are allowed to choose any text or online article that choose to read and this is silent reading time, although this has only been going for 3 weeks, it has been great to see our learners engage in 'reading for enjoyment' time.


The next data that really suprised me was that 9 students in my class said they don't think that I think they're good readers.  This comes down to how they view what reading group they're in and how they aren't confident readers.  I need to make sure that I continually praise my learners for the little achievements they make in reading.  I also need to celebrate progress that learners make in our class and let them know what reading age they achieve after they have done their testing,


3 comments:

  1. Hi Zac, Great to hear this is the focus of your teacher as inquirer this year. It makes so much sense to do these together. Looking forward to seeing your post about the survey data.
    Nga mihi
    Kiri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent update Zac. Look forward to seeing you tomorrow
    Kiri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia ora Zac

    Thank you for sharing the results of your learners’ Reader Profile Survey. As you say, there are a number of findings to celebrate and to target for improvement. One key finding that interests me is the number that don’t tend to read at home or at the library. I was wondering whether this might be an issue of access, and that even if learners did have access to a library, that they may need support choosing texts that would engage them (i.e. readability; interest; recommendation)?

    Rob Wiseman and I have been talking today, especially about Year 8 students who may be getting to an age where we know RfE can start to drop off. I was wondering if you have had discussions with the learners to inquire into this finding (n=25 who don’t read beyond school). Also, do the learners have access to a library (class/school/mobile bus) to select books for interest to read at home?

    Look forward to chatting further :)
    Nga mihi
    Naomi

    ReplyDelete