Tuesday, March 12, 2024

RPI Day 2 - Know your learners as readers

 Day 2!

What an awesome start to day 2, Dorothy came on to our chat and really inspired me to get KPE (Korero Pt England) running at our school again!  I love letting my learners be creative with the follow up activity they get to do with their text set each week and what better way to do it than this! Watch this space...



This is the common literacy practice model that helped mould Learn, Create, Share with adding digital technologies this not only engages students but gives us access to the biggest resource in the world, Google.  


Collecting Assessment Data 

It's so important to use a mixture of both Formative and Summative Assessments to evaluate our learners.



Teacher Workbook

The next thing that we looked at was the Teacher Workbook, this was great to hear Naomi and Kiri talk about and elaborate the 'why' that we use this.  I've been using this since the start of the year and I love it! I love that everything is all in one Google Sheet.  You have all your data collated together and can continually check the progress your learners are making.  I'm going to be using the text coverage aspect of the Teacher Workbook so I know that my learners will be reading a range of genres.

Task Boards

I was lucky enough that my team leader (Rob Wiseman) has got our team of teachers using these for all core subject areas.  I like the idea of adding small tasks as well as the main tasks that you have for your learners during the week.




Next steps for me - Get in touch with Dorothy and find out more about Korero Pt England and see how I can use this in my classroom with my learners, this will relate back to the MIT Inquiry I did in 2018 where I made this resource.


1 comment:

  1. Hi Zac, So glad we have given you a push to get Korero Pt England going again! Really awesome. Lovely to see how you have modified and adapted the task board for use in your classroom! I also like your reflection about the workbook, great to have some proof of concept for us! Looking forward to your next post about the implementation. Kiri

    ReplyDelete